Travelling tittle-tattle, tall tales and shameless name-dropping by Jon ‘Don’t Call Me’ Norman

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom

Blog Archive


Wednesday 24 November 2010

The age old question

Unwanted experiences in youth hostelling no.464 – Last night I walked into my room and the first thing I saw was a naked, pale elderly bottom which peered up at me from the underneath of a far too short sleeping gown. “Ooh” remarked its 60 year old owner. Apparently surprised that I had walked in at precisely the moment he was leaning forward to study himself in the bathroom mirror.

Unwanted experiences in youth hostelling no.465 – “Have you ever seen the film A Clockwork Orange?” He asked me as I was leaving the room this morning. I replied that I had wondering why he was bringing it up and trying to work out if he had intended the menacing tone in which he had posed the question. His chin was covered in shaving foam and he brandished a razor. “Kinda disturbing in a profoundly violent & wicked way, don’t ya think?” He said, eye-balling me as I passed him on the way out.

I love youth hostels. Without them I wouldn’t have remembered how fucking weird old people can be.

No comments: