Travelling tittle-tattle, tall tales and shameless name-dropping by Jon ‘Don’t Call Me’ Norman

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom

Friday 4 January 2019

Auckland angst

Watching the last few minutes of the Manchester City v Liverpool match reminded me of a unwelcome parallel with real life.  The last few minutes of this escapism were an edgy affair as City closed out a win that kept their title hopes alive and restricted Liverpool's lead at the top of the table to four points.  

The nerves were evident as players who'd spent much of the night stroking the ball around silkily now started hacking and hoofing at every clearance or sight of the ball.  

Anyone who follows sport knows the last few minutes of a match when your side are clinging on is a stressful time when time slows down and you literally can't sit comfortably.

Today was a bit like that.  All day.  I was alone in my own mind whilst surrounded by family.  A feeling of dread in my stomach.  Unable to sit comfortably or relax.  Clock watching a day that I shouldn't have wanted to end.  

It's a shame because it should have been a really pleasant experience.  Staying in comfortable surrounds with the in laws taking turns to look after the little one.  Football then cricket on the TV, yoga in the afternoon, a swim in the early evening before tea.  



But when has anxiety ever made sense?  Often with a big trip imminent people look at me with a smile and expect me to respond in kind.  I often look at them with narrow eyes with a sigh escaping from my lips that screams "I hate flying, I feel guilty about leaving my family and you know what?  I have come to the conclusion that I don't like change".  Which isn't an ideal position to find myself in when you consider my lifestyle of travel and the uncertain nature of my industry.  Oh, and the fact my wife's family live on the other side of the planet.

Boy has it been a battle not to drink today.  


No comments: