Travelling tittle-tattle, tall tales and shameless name-dropping by Jon ‘Don’t Call Me’ Norman

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom

Tuesday 5 August 2008

Kewing in the rain

On Sunday, for a few short hours, I was transported back to the other side of the world. Fe's mum and sister are currently in the UK. And alongside them and Fe's aunt and uncle I spent a rainy Sunday afternoon walking around Kew Gardens.

The last time I'd been was five or six years ago when Sinan and I scaled the main gate and chilled out drinking beer and smoking ciggies. So it was nice to be able to walk around this time during daylight and without constantly having to look over my shoulder for the parks police.

Photobucket

Even though the weather was at times wretched it didn't prevent me spending a lovely few hours with my body in West London but mind in Western Australia. For if there's one thing that reminds me of my time in NZ and Oz it's walking around botanical type gardens. The fact that I was surrounded by Kiwis just added to the whole daydreaming experience.

Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera. So I had to make do with the one on my phone. But it still enabled me to take a few nice snaps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were a couple of differences from the days spent whiling away my time in Oz. Firstly, I wasn't hungover. Secondly, it was raining. Thirdly, the treetop walkway didn't wobble as much and was nowhere near as high.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And lastly, I can't remember ever getting the opportunity to tune into a tree when I was in Oz.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Somehow a microphone is placed in the middle of the tree trunk and if you wear the headphones you can hear the static thumping sound of water travelling up and down the trunk and the inner workings of the tree in action. Supposedly. It just sounded like an Aphex Twin rip off to me.

No comments: